Little Market, Big Deal
Meet Pineapple Day Spa, an award winning spa located in Pine Bush, New York, a town of about 1,600 residents a ninety minute drive from the Big Apple. Pineapple Day Spa offers a range of services and products for wellness, beauty, and relaxation by a team of more than 15 highly trained stylists and therapists.
While the spa is located miles from the media centers of Manhattan, Pineapple Day Spa’s digital marketing presence is on par with the biggest and best salons in the country thanks to the innovative marketing services provided by its marketing agency, the gooroo group.
Pineapple Day Spa’s beautifully designed website offers booking functionality and allows customers to purchase gift certificates directly from the site. In the social media world, the spa now engages new and existing customers through an expanding network on both Facebook and Twitter, and an email list reaches subscribers with strategic updates and offers.
In 2011, as pre-purchased Deals were embraced by consumers across the country, Pineapple Day Spa saw potential for growing its own business. Like many smaller communities, the economic environment in Pine Bush has led to belt-tightening and reduced spending on percieved luxury items, including spa services. Allowing customers to pre-purchase services at a discount would help new customers overcome the perception of unafforability and allow them to experience the services worth coming back for — a proposition the spa found promising.
However, the major daily deal sites were not operating in smaller markets like Pine Bush, and providing deep discounts to NYC customers unlikely to make the long trip for a return visit at regular price was simply not an option for gooroo group’s strategy of creating long-term, loyal customers. Pineapple Day Spa and gooroo group needed to find an alternative to the big daily deal sites.
When gooroo group’s founder learned about Closely’s promotion application for small businesses in the fall of 2011, he was excited about the possibilities. In contrast to the blunt, broad-market options of major daily deal sites, Closely would allow the spa to run deals any time, set their own terms, and distribute the deal to the spa’s email list, social following and other locally targeted channels. The platform would serve as a tool to enhance gooroo group’s strategic marketing approach, not a one-size-fits-all distraction from the spa’s core customer base.
While the possiblities were appealing, the agency’s research showed that customers in more rural markets were far less likely to have purchased a daily deal than those in deal-saturated urban areas. Armed with this knowledge, they approached a new campaign with cautious optimism, developing a plan for a relatively conservative deal with a short duration and redemption time. Unlike the major daily deal sites, the Closely platform would allow this initial test and empower the agency to repeat or modify the approach as needed on a real-time basis.
- The Offer: Buy the deal for $49, and get $70 worth towards any spa or salon treatment
- Discount: 30%
- Duration: 11/18/11 to 11/27/11 (redemption extended until 12/15/11)
- Email: The gooroo group created an email marketing campaign to promote the redesigned website, including an extra incentive highlighting the Closely deal.
- Facebook: gooroo group shared the deal to the spa’s Facebook page, promoting sales and engagement from Pineapple Day Spa fans.
- Twitter: The deal was posted automatically via the Closely application on a repeating schedule carefully selected by gooroo group.
- Website: The Closely widget was easily embedded on the Special Offers of the spa’s site to capture site visitors looking for the most up-to-date offer information.
The Pineapple Day Spa and gooroo group could not have been more pleased with the results when they reached their goal of 15 deals sold in 9 days. Results and return on investment were easy to track using the Closely analytics dashboard.
- 5% of customer who viewed the deal page bought the deal.
- 79% of views came from the email marketing campaign or web site
- 16.5% of views came from the social networks
- 4.5% came from search engines, thanks to an increased SEO footprint
- Immediate revenue generated: $735 (with 90% going to the gooroo group and the Pineapple Day Spa directly!)
The Pineapple Day Spa was very encouraged by the positive response from its customers – old and new – and has adopted the Closely application to run regular deals tailored to the unique needs of the business and its customers. The customer response has been 100% positive, with clients thanking the business for offering deals that make it affordable to pamper themselves in tough economic times.
Meanwhile, gooroo group was able to demonstrate that the pre-purchase deal model is not just for large, metropolitan markets.
A savvy marketing agency with a real connection to the business they serve, combined with the flexibility provided by the Closely platform, can transform the online marketing possibilites for small businesses in local markets.
More more information about how Closely can help you grow your business, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The gooroo group can be reached as follows:
Ryan DeJong, Founder